It's been a year I could never have imagined from this date 365 days ago. I don't know what the next will bring, but here are some of my favorite moments from 2008, in no particular order.
1. The election of a president that sent people dancing in the streets. With such energy and anticipation, I have every hope that we will get through what is next with unity and make history proud.
2. My youngest entering 1st grade, my oldest a freshman NYU, and my middle child cleaning her room without being asked.
3. Spa. SOAR. Rhinebeck. Fiber Revival. TNNA. Fiber gatherings in general, including my regular gang at the library. Whenever people get together over the wool, you just know it's gonna be good.
4. Getting Twist Collective off the ground.
5. Every belt level of karate I passed this year; everything I learn in my martial arts training feels like a little victory.
6. Mastering my snack impulse and kicking sugar, which I did starting in May. I've lost about 20 pounds since then eating well and enjoying wine, and for the first time in about 15 years I can look in the mirror without thinking to myself "Man, I look fat." I don't know how much more weight I will lose, but I'm not stopping now.
7. Hearing that my sister is expecting a baby boy. She is due any day now, and we are looking forward to welcoming a cousin into the family. His name will be Rowan, and no, I did not influence her decision. In spite of the obvious yarn references, she apparently thinks it has something to do with a tree, of all things. Crazy, huh?
A very very happy new year to us all, and my sincere wishes for a brief winter, and a joyous return of the light.