A year ago, I dumped this sweater into a brown paper bag and threw a grief blanket over it. It had been a dream project until the pattern betrayed me and left me with a strange lumpy yoke.
Last week as the weather finally turned chilly, I dug it out knowing it was my warmest hope for the season ahead, and thought hard about the reasons why the yoke looked the way it did.
I decided that that the rate of decreasing was probably the cause. After several widely separated rows fo decreases, the brown shapes near the top of the yoke decrease every other row in the black background, and that couldn't be good. This seems to be successful for all the other versions I've seen in Ravelry, but mine is the only one knit in the largest size, so my theory is that the additional stitches push the design past the feasible. I dug out my trusty EZ, and read that three or 5 sets of decreases are the usual method of making a yoke, and this sweater defied the rule at the expense of wearability. So I ripped back to the point that EZ recommends the yoke decreases should begin (half-way between the joining row and the neck, the top of the green band) and reconsidered my motif options.
Part seat of the pants, part borrowed chart from The Best of Lopi (the very top part of Laela, if you must know), I wrangled the thing into something that I could live with. I made a sewn steek, and commenced with the self-facing button bands (that is, button bands that you knit to include about three or four extra stockinette stitches along one side that you whip stitch over the unsightly steek line to make it all pretty).